- Increase in muggings in cities as streets will be poorly lit
- Fire Risk goes up as many use candles
- Candles have a higher carbon emission/light emitted ratio than an ordinary light-bulb
- Risk of tripping as people move around their houses in the dark
- Creates an illusion that you are doing something to help
- More harm is being done by switching production from food to bio-fuel, accelerating deforestation of the Amazon for food production. We are literally eating out the lungs of the planet!
- Smoke inhalation from candles, increased risk of lung cancer.
- Power surges when people switch appliances back on could cause power cuts (especially in the dodgy Auckland network), cutting off electricity to medical equipment and killing the seriously ill...
- The CO2 emissions from all those candles might melt half of Antarctica and flood our major cities.
- Earth hour puts at risk the trusting yet vulnerable elderly who like to play their part for a good cause. Switching off lighting and heating endangers their health and security.
- Earth hour discriminates against the poor who have fewer electrical appliances to begin with, robbing them of the pleasant but delusional thought that they can do something different on one night to make the world a better place.
- Earth hour will lead to a higher number of mysterious murders. I've seen enough whodunnit movies to know that the killing always takes place when the lights go out.
- Many electrical devices (including CFLs) chew up more power being switched on than they would if left on in standby mode for the whole hour. Some CFLs will take this opportunity to blow, further adding mercury to our landfills.
- I suddenly have a urge to eat polar bear steak... [Not sure why this is dangerous -perhaps catching it is -but its funny]
- Earth Hour is dangerous because it causes mold and blocked drains.
- your reason here...
March 31 in history
5 hours ago